Re: [xmca] How to conceive of the Social Situation of Development.

From: Andy Blunden <ablunden who-is-at mira.net>
Date: Fri Jun 20 2008 - 00:07:37 PDT

David,

When I gave the USA as an example of a "project" I meant
this to convey the idea that "project" is something
objective. So it is significantly true that two people may
be interacting with each other while involved in two
different projects, but it is not just something inside the
head. It arises socially and can be determined objectively.
Naturally, the misalignment of projects is an issue. If a
teacher is involved in a project of education, a child needs
to be recruited to that project.

I certainly agree that "project" not= "environment". That's
the point. The "environment," as I understand it, is a
passive surround/context from which the subject gains
resources or cues. A person is an active participant in a
project though. I think all projects are going somewhere,
though they probably are not normally undergoing "development."

There is always an element of "A rose is a rose by any other
name" in these questions. That's why I tried to indicate the
provenance I had in mind, viz., pragamtic interpretations of
Hegelian Gestalten. Very much a *social* kind of thing. :)
I do not have an Existentialist conception in mind.

Andy