Re: [xmca] University & Conformit

From: Mike Cole <lchcmike who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Sat Jun 07 2008 - 09:46:49 PDT

Hi Francine--

I think a LOT of people are thinking about this issue:

* But I think we might be seeing the total demise of the Classical
University.
Even the small liberal arts colleges are being undermined by the "student as
customer"
mentality, that makes education an economic transaction where the "customer
is always right."*

A question associated with all of this is what NON-COMMERCIAL modes of
intellectual life
of the sort that have traditionally been carried on in the outre mer as well
as bastions of
traditional education (e.g. uchicago in private form, univ of california in
public form) are possible.

As you can see, we are crawling toward ways of enhancing the intellectual
resources at XMCA
and we know we can organize seminars and even courses when we want to take
the trouble to
do it. But it does require at least the resource of time (and for those in
less digitally privileged
environments, money spent on new technologies) and there is no clear model
but rather
a huge polyphony or fragmented bits a pieces circulating.

Maybe that suffices for most if not all contemporary scholars?

mike