Re: [xmca] University & Conformity

From: Andy Jocuns <jocunsa who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Wed May 28 2008 - 10:04:20 PDT

David,

There is a lot going on with this. I think what they say is that
engineering is the liberal arts degree of the next century. There are two
senses of what they mean by "new liberal arts degree"; on the one hand
engineering is the new liberal arts degree in that it encompasses a wide
array of disciplines (mostly in some aspect of science or mathematics) and
on the other hand an engineering degree enables 'you' to do a lot of
different things (from desiging bombs to helping the environment, I hear a
lot of engineers are everywhere). In both cases engineering educators are
trying to sing the praises the of the field and that there will be jobs for
these students. There is a lot left out, you would think that ethics would
an important part of this "new liberal arts" that is 'science' based,
however as far as i understand most large engineering programs don't have an
ethics course as a requirement (i know of one that has a series of those
types of courses). most of these programs are so highly structured that a
typical student may have between one & three courses that are not math or
science in some manner. there has also been a lot of reference to engineers
and social concerns, when I looked into this it amounts (at some schools) to
teaching a communications course (technical writing) and learning how
interact socially to overcome stereotypes of engineers. when you pick apart
their metaphor they are singing the praises of their field yet they open the
door to a lot of criticism. don't get me wrong engineers are great, i have
met some wonderful students who are very intelligent and on their way into
this field. The issue is that most universities are pooring gobs of $ into
these programs and neglecting the old liberal arts degree in the process.

andy