[xmca] Aufforderungscharakter/Valence/Affordance/Lewin/Gibson

From: Mike Cole <lchcmike who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Sun May 25 2008 - 11:21:27 PDT

In the van der veer and valsiner edition of *Tool and Symbol* the editors
use the term,
Aufforderungscharakter to refer to the relation of objects in the world to
needs. In a footnote
they write that this terms is THEIR insertion in place of the Russian
"literary translation" of
the Russian "literary term" "kharakter povelevania".

I am uncertain of the literal translations of povelevania or what they mean
by a literary
term, but I am struck by the appearance of the idea of affordance that
appears to be in
the German term.

I have not encountered a discussion of the relationship of the ideas of
Gibson and Lewin
but could someoneS help with the translation issues here?? Is Lewin's notion
translated
as valence in most English translations, related to the notion of affordance
in Gibson?