RE: [xmca] concept and function

From: Alexander Surmava <monada who-is-at netvox.ru>
Date: Wed May 14 2008 - 19:30:34 PDT

Hi Eric,
you are perfectly true taking notice of the fact that conversation is "a
very important aspect of the welder's practice". Of course, it's impossible
to negate that the language is inseparable from developed human practice.
But let's consider, what was the aim of your communication with the welder?
The welders "enlightenment" :-) or the very brackets and whether your
communication had a tiny sense in abstraction from this fact? If you agree
with this I'll say that the very need in verbal communication was only the
vanishing, mediating moment in your and welders cooperative deed. So all
your and welder's "words" have their sense, measure and truth only in deed.
Thus the real start and real finish, real aim of the process was the deed of
making some special construction in your barn.
Again, your real understanding of the proper shape of the construction you
need for your barn derived not from the "words" but from your material
practice. The special need in words derived from cooperative character of
human practice, from division of labor in which it comes into being and in
which it dies. Agree, if the welder finally presents you mostly
sophisticated words or "concepts" instead of metal brackets, or metal but
inaccurately realized brackets you would be dissatisfied. I mean that the
real process of understanding (ponimanie) starts in practice and has to be
approved by practice.
If your term "concept" means "understanding" thus it can derive only from
the very deed. If it means mere the common sense of words (obschee
predstavlenie) it contains little of understanding but mostly something
conventional, something taking by agreement. Dialectical logic in contrast
to logic of John Locke makes strict distinction between real understanding
of some object (understanding which can be received and approved only
through practice) and arbitrary conventions about meaning of words, which
derives from words and stay there. Evidently that in Sakharov-Vygotsky's
experiment we meet the example of such a formal arbitrary operations. There
is nothing (for the test child) in the experimental situation "to
understand". Thus so called "artificial concepts" are no more than vacuous,
verbal constructions. Quite the contrary in your story with brackets we can
see how the welder was moving to the common (with you as a customer) notion
(Vorstellung, predstavlenie). The situation being involved into your
practical task was much more substantial. Though logically we don't deal
here with concepts, with understanding as well. The concept (ponyatie) here
exists only in your integral practice, while the welder stays in the sphere
of abstract notions (obschih predstavlenii). Not because he is slow to learn
your hi-tech, but because he as commodity producer doesn't need such
understanding, such "concepts". Exactly as schoolboy or girl doesn't go
further abstract notions, further verbal form of knowledge, further
arbitrary conventions about meaning of words and doesn't even approach the
real understanding of the subject.
I've enjoy Mike's example with Kpelle who indignantly rejected the
arithmetical test if the answer to it was not given them previously to
remember. The modern system of education makes the majority of our students
similar to these Kpelle. It doesn't means that both students from Moscow or
Kpelle are slow to learn. It means that we as teachers are slow to teach.
Sasha