Re: [xmca] Book review - Gesture and the Dynamic Dimension of Language

From: Ana Christina <aiddings who-is-at email.arizona.edu>
Date: Fri May 09 2008 - 16:35:07 PDT

Thank you so much for sending this information through the listserv,
Phil.
The field of gesture studies is indeed a fascinating one.

Here is another book on the subject (with a focus on second language
acquisition) that may be of interest to this group. A portion of the
volume is especially dedicated to the application of sociocultural
theory to the studies of gesture.

Gesture: Second Language Acquisition and Classroom Research
Steven G. McCafferty and Gale Stam, eds.
Routledge: London
2008

As a whole, this book provides ample demonstration of the vital
connection between language and gesture, and why it is critical to
take into account the full spectrum of communicative phenomena as
part of research on second language acquisition (SLA). Collectively,
the authors and editors believe that readers unfamiliar with L2
gesture studies will find a powerful new lens with which to view many
aspects of language in use, language learning, and language teaching.
Of particular interest to MCA readers will be Setion II, Gesture and
Making Meaning in the L2, which consists of three studies that all
take an explicitly Vygotskian view of the role of gesture in SLA.
Chapter 3 by Steven G. McCafferty examines an L2 speaker’s discussion
of ideal marriage. He argues that the learner’s metaphoric gestures
served a primary role in the conceptualization and communication of
meaning. Elizabeth Platt and Frank B. Brooks in Chapter 4 discuss how
L2 learners’ use of gestures, gaze, nonverbal movements, and physical
contact with the task materials helped the participants achieve self-
regulation in performing a simulation task in their L2. In Chapter 5,
Eduardo Negueruela and James P. Lantolf also investigate the self-
regulatory and communicative functions of gestures. Their focus is on
how deictic and iconic gestures contribute to the construction of
meaning in the L2.

Table of Contents:
I Introduction to Gesture and Its L2 Applications
1. Gesture Studies and Second Language Acquisition: A Review
Gale Stam and Steven G. McCafferty
2. Nonverbal Communication, Gesture, and Second Language
Classrooms: A Review
Carla Chamberlin Quinlisk
II Gesture and Making Meaning in the L2
3. Material Foundations for Second Language Acquisition: Gesture,
Metaphor, and Internalization
Steven G. McCafferty
4. Embodiment as Self-Regulation in L2 Task Performance
Elizabeth Platt and Frank B. Brooks
5. The Dialectics of Gesture in the Construction of Meaning in
Second Language Oral Narratives
Eduardo Negueruela and James P. Lantolf
III Gesture and Communicative Performance in the L2
6. Gesturally-Enhanced Repeats in the Repair Turn: Communication
Strategy or Cognitive Language-Learning Tool?
David Olsher
7. Does Gesture Aid Discourse Comprehension in the L2?
Tsuyoshi Kida
8. Language Learner and Native Speaker Perceptions of Japanese
Refusal Gestures Portrayed in Video
Nicholas O. Jungheim
IV Gesture and Linguistic Perormance in the L2
9. A Helping Hand? Gestures, L2 Learners, and Grammar
Marianne Gullberg
10. Linguistic and Gestural Introduction of Ground Reference in L1
and L2 Narrative
Keiko Yoshioka
11. What Gestures Reveal About Second Language Acquisition
Gale Stam
V Gesture and the L2 Classroom
12. ‘Because of Her Gesture, It’s Very Easy to Understand’ –
Learners’ Perceptions of Teachers’ Gestures in the Foreign Language
Class.
Daniela Sime
13. Gesture and the Negoitation of Meaning in a Second Language
Classroom
Martine Faraco and Tsuyoshi Kida
14. Expository Discourse in a Second Language Classroom: How
Learners Use Gesture
Alexis Tabensky