Re: [xmca] Vygotsky, Lukacs and Lenin - another try

From: Bruce Robinson <bruce who-is-at brucerob.eu>
Date: Sun Apr 27 2008 - 12:21:17 PDT

Steve,
I am sorry not to have responded to this earlier but I am on holiday and
away from home so not really able to kick things off or participate at
the moment. However I would also like to have a mini-discussion on this
and will write something to continue where we left off when i get back
and settled, which will be around the 12th of May.

Best wishes,
Bruce

I think Andy is right that there was an underlying common issue in terms
of the development of a revolutionary political consciousness from
everyday struggles and consciousness in Lenin, Trotsky, Lukacs (though I
think his approach was different) and also Rosa Luxemburg. Wayne Au in
his article draws the parallel between Lenin's 1903 conception of how
such a consciousness could develop and Vygotsky's conception of how
scientific consciousness develops as 'directly correlated' as a result
of their existing 'parallel structures of individual and social
developme*n*t' and similar learning processes. He writes: "In drawing a
parallel between Lenin’s conceptual framework for the development of
theconsciousness of workers with Vygotsky’s conceptual framework for the
development of conscious awareness in students, this paper in no way
implies that the workers are childlike or that Lenin or Vygotsky viewed
workers as children. The intention here is to showthe correlation
between these two frameworks and make the argument that they were both
providing a conception of how consciousness develops generally."