Re: [xmca] human learning theory text for grads in education/instructional technology - suggestions?

From: Michael A. Evans <mae who-is-at vt.edu>
Date: Sat Apr 12 2008 - 06:12:55 PDT

Mike,

Thank you very much for the suggestions - having read the preface,
introduction, and first chapter of the handbook, I do think there is at
least a tangential relation to xmca, particularly with references to
"tool-mediated interaction" and emphasis on the "social as the primary unit
of analysis"...in fact, the introductory chapter relies on your cultural
psychology text as a foundational piece...

And yes, reciprocal teaching and design experiments are other examples where
the two disciplines bump up against one another...one thing I have noticed,
from my very brief encounter, is the strong grounding in cognitive science
and AI - I believe this history is what, in some ways, concerns scholars
from other disciplines who want the focus to be more social, more
cultural...in that way, I don't see the two ever resonating completely or
for an extended period...

Nevertheless, I do appreciate your suggestion to consider a collection of
well thought out as a superior choice - for some reason, my default is
always to an already collected series as a starting point when restructuring
a class...

And, thanks for the article reference...if I can reciprocate, and I hope
this is not a redundancy on the list, an article that I plan to being in
that demonstrates the cultural aspect of technology design and use is this:

Cook, S. D. N., Yanow, D., (1993) "Culture and Organizational Learning",
Journal of Management Inquiry, Vol. 2, pp 373-390.

In this article, Cook & Yanow provide a wonderful analysis of novice and
master flute makers establishing norms and exchanging knowledge around the
craft of flute making...

Cheers,
Michael~

--