Re: [xmca] Antirecapitulationism and the Logical Impossiblity of Social Progress

From: Ed Wall <ewall who-is-at umich.edu>
Date: Sun Apr 06 2008 - 13:34:07 PDT

Martin

    I don't know how helpful this is but Robert de Beaugrande has a
paper which discusses this particular interpretation of Halliday at
http://www.beaugrande.com/WiddowsonianDiscourse.htm. It seems to be
in Widdowson, H.G. 2000. 'On the limitations of linguistics applied.'
Applied Linguistics 21/1: 3-5 (I don't have access or the paper)
although it is difficult to tell and he notes, I think there, that
Widdowson is referring, for the most part, to the Preface of the 1994
An Introduction to Function Grammar (unfortunately I have the second
edition).
    For Vygotsky and Halliday, you might look to Hasan, I think there
is a paper in the MCA Archives.

    Oh, I think you mean Fairclough

Ed