Discourses, genres, and other “form fields” Re: [xmca] Vygotsky, Marx, Hegel and History

From: Tony Whitson <twhitson who-is-at UDel.Edu>
Date: Sun Mar 16 2008 - 11:09:56 PDT

In response not to Martin's ultimate point here, but in the preliminary
comments on the uses being made/not made of sources:

When I want to critically comment on what someone's _discourse_ SAYS in a
discursive context without making attributions as to what they might
personally THINK or BELIEVE, I find it useful to refer to what I'm calling
"form fields," as discursive fields that shape meaning (analogours to
"force fields" shaping physical time-space).

See http://curricublog.org/2008/02/24/form-fields/

This is not exactly what Martin's dealing with, but the notion of
"form-fields" might have similar utility here.

Tony Whitson
UD School of Education
NEWARK DE 19716

twhitson@udel.edu