Re: [xmca] More on Martin: Consciousness vs knowledge?

From: Wolff-Michael Roth <mroth who-is-at uvic.ca>
Date: Tue Mar 11 2008 - 05:46:45 PDT

Hi David,
it is not so complicated as your opening statements appear to make
it, because the generalized other is already implicated in simple
things such as sensing something as pain, sadness, etc. If I can say
"I am sad" or "I am angry," this already presupposes the stance and
perspective of the other (see, for example, the analyses Didier
Franck did about the implications of Husserl's work). This
implication of the other in the Self is the core of Ricœur's study
"Oneself as another," and, as you recognize, central to Vygotsky and
Bakhtin (Volosinov). Vygotsky says at the end of Thought and Language
that practical consciousness is consciousness-for-the-other as it is
consciousness-for-oneself. (last page of text or so I recall)

Michael