Re: [xmca] More on Martin: Consciousness vs knowledge?

From: Andy Blunden <ablunden who-is-at mira.net>
Date: Mon Mar 10 2008 - 23:04:05 PDT

I was just too busy to get involved in this thread. Sorry.

Firstly on etymology of "consciousness". According to OED, it comes from
the Latin: "consci-us knowing something with others, knowing in oneself"
and goes on to explain the original usage as in being privy to something -
alone or with others. But the roots are the same as for Russian con-scius =
"to know with."

Finally, on the significance of the difference between self-consciousness
and consciousness. This is a very important difference, Mike. It was Fichte
who started the interest in self-consciousness in somewhat the sense you
refer to it, but let us go with Hegel's understanding of self-consciousness
which has been very very influential (e.g. it is what the master-servant
narrative is about, and in the 1830s the Young Hegelians used
"self-consciousness" almost synonymously with "revolutionary consciousness."

To be self-conscious means to be able to see yourself from a different
social position, and therefore to be aware that what you see, believe,
think, do, etc., is the view from one social position and not another, and
not simply "the way things are", absolute truth if you like.
Self-consciousness therefore arises only in and through collaborating with
people who have a different social position or culture from your own.

So, whereas consciousness arises from labour (e.g. using tools and words,
raising kids), self-consciousness cannot arise from the labour process
alone (think of Marx, Lenin etc on class consciousness not arising out of
the experience of production) but only through interactions with other
cultures, other classes, etc., etc. Without self-consciousness it is
impossible to really participate in modern society at a level above menial
work and subjugation by the bureaucracy.

When Franklin saw that the drama he was acting out at preschool was about
*him* then he made a development which was impossible without him learning
how to stand outside of himself and see himself objectively, as an other,
like others saw him.

Andy

  Andy Blunden : http://home.mira.net/~andy/ tel (H) +61 3 9380 9435,
mobile 0409 358 651