Re: [xmca] latour

From: Martin Packer <packer who-is-at duq.edu>
Date: Sat Mar 08 2008 - 09:46:11 PST

Dear Luiz,

Latour has quite strong views about reality, especially in his book
'Reassembling the Social.' Put simply, he argues that researchers need to
pay attention to metaphysical/ontological issues and be ready to "swim in
these waters." His use of Greimas (he describes his position as half
Greimas, half Garfinkel) is primarily to emphasize the varieties of complex
ontologies that can exist in social assemblies. Researchers need to study
these ontologies and avoid insisting in advance that one specific ontology
is how things 'really' are. These ontologies are not individual but social,
so here his position is different from Dick's, but I think he would agree
completely that writing convincing ficton is about constructing a reality -
inviting the reader to see a new world, or see their world in a new way.

On your point that online games continue even when one is not online - this
is true of books too, no? It's still on my desk whether I'm interacting with
it or not. That's not to say that they are the same kind of artifact, but to
suggest that reader-response theory might be helpful to you (I prefer Iser
to Greimas, but perhaps the later is more appropriate for gaming). And that
perhaps there is a rhetoric of online involvement that underlies each games
specific ontology.

Martin