Re: "Personality" vs "Identity" (was: [xmca] Word meanings making up "Personality")

From: Andy Blunden <ablunden who-is-at mira.net>
Date: Sun Feb 24 2008 - 22:03:57 PST

Foo Keong,
I don't understand at least 50% of your message, so can I just ask a
question, which may be a little rhetorical?
What do you mean by "essentialist"? I find this word quite problematic in
that it is tied to certain debates of the past and certain philosophical
positions which I for one would not necessarily endorse.
Given an answer to that, what is "actual identity"? And if there is an
"actual identity" which is not the "designated identity" who does the
designating and what happened to self-identity?

Just trying to get a handle on what you are after,
Andy
At 01:22 AM 25/02/2008 +0800, you wrote:
>hi everybody,
>
>i'm a PhD student studying the development of mathematical "identity"
>of a few volunteers using Anna Sfard's framework of identity as a
>narrative that is RES (Reifying, ENdorsable and Significant). Learning
>here is defined as bridging the gap between /actual identity/ and
>/designated identity/.
>
>While we're on the topic, and since i have my head still full of
>un-sorted-out concepts, i'd like to ask:
> how is "personality" different from "identity"?
>
>Do you consider Erik Erikson's theory of identity "essentialist"? How
>so? Doesn't Erikson's theory also allow for change and development in
>people? i.e. it is not carved and
>set in stone throughout a person's life, or is it?
>
>Enlightenment from experts will be very much appreciated.
>
>Foo Keong, PhD student
>National Institute of Education, Singapore
>

>References

  Andy Blunden : http://home.mira.net/~andy/ tel (H) +61 3 9380 9435,
mobile 0409 358 651