[xmca] Did the Butterfly Leave the Cocoon, and then what?

From: Mike Cole <lchcmike who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Thu Feb 21 2008 - 08:28:22 PST

Martin--

I have been reading and pondering the "two psychologies" problem as
discussed toward the front of your article.
Metaphors of dying people and the need for a surgeon's knife read a little
strangely in retrospect, but I have long
thought, and tried to act on, the idea that a "theory-in-practice"
methodology was essential to bridging the two
psychologies with their different ontologies and epistemologies.

However, by the criteria assembled in your paper, even when we include use
of a genetic component as central to
the required resolution (which I also subscribe to) it is unclear to me
whether Vygotsky or anyone else has created
the new, natural science uber psychology that he called for.

My own route has been akin to Luria's version of romantic science which puts
idiographic and nomothetic knowledge into
dialogue with each other and the analyst in valued sociocultural
practices/activities. Its a methodological solution, not, as
I understand it, a theoretical one. (But theory/methodology/empirical data
gathering appear to me to all be part of a single
theory.practice unity.

But this route fails the test as I understand it from your careful reading
of "Crisis" and other documents. Right?