Re: [xmca] Vygotsky and Trotsky

From: David Kellogg <vaughndogblack who-is-at yahoo.com>
Date: Tue Jan 29 2008 - 15:21:15 PST

Shirley,

  Trotsky was quite sympathetic to psychoanalysis, and it seems to me more likely that he would have met/contacted Luria or Vera Schmidt rather than Vygotsky.

  Volosinov begins his monograph against Freudianism with a brief but respectful dismissal of Trotsky's enthusiasm for psychoanalysis (this is 1929, and Volosinov is more likely to get in trouble for the respectfulness of his dismissal rather than for the dismissal itself).

  I have always felt that Volosinov MUST have influenced Vygotsky on this question (and others, including znachenie and smysl), but I have been unable to prove it. Volosinov cites Vygotsky but not the other way around, and the common citations that they use (e.g. Dostoevsky) were apparently BOTH taken from a book by Jakubinsky (according to Titunik).

  Do you know the work of Etkind? He's done SOMETHING along these lines (but I think he's mostly interested in the Jewish connection). Try:

  http://www.voppsy.ru/issues/1993/934/934124.htm

  David Kellogg
  Seoul National University of Education