Re: [xmca] Unfinished Symphony

From: bella kotik <bella.kotik who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Mon Jan 14 2008 - 22:24:57 PST

David, before reading carefully your discussion I want to comment on your
claim that LSV was a "late starter". What is the basis of this conclusion?
I hope to present in September a review of his EARLY writings. At the age of
15 he became a leader of a seminar discussing serious books on history.
Being a student he worked as a technical secretary in a newspaper and
published several esseys very important for understanding his personality.
Hope to be in San Diego to present these data to you and to all.
Bella Kotik-Friedgut.

On 1/15/08, David Kellogg <vaughndogblack@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Toulmin's comment about "the Mozart of psychology" notwithstanding, LSV
> was a late starter. (LSV also seems to sympathize with Salieri and not
> Mozart in his comments on the Pushkin short story!) But LSV did leave us
> something like the mysterious unfinished Requiem Mass, namely the book on
> Child Development sketched and begun in Volume Five of the Collected Works.
>
> Mike, Pentti Hakarainnen, Eugene Subbotsky and Yrjo Engestrom gave us a
> thought-shaking but distinctly unfinished discussion on this work in
> November, and my ex-grad students have tried to add a few bars with real
> data. I've got a kind of "executive summary" of what we came up with below,
> and you can also download our powerpoints and watch our presentations at:
>
> http://lchc.ucsd.edu/MCA/
>
> 1) (Questions raised by Mike Cole)
> a) What are these 'parts' and 'wholes' of which Vygotsky speaks when
> he describes how in non-critical periods the growth of parts determines the
> configuration of the whole whle in critical periods the relation is
> reversed?
> b) What are the 'peripheral' and 'central' functions and how do they
> reverse places? What would be evidence that this is taking place?
> c) Is there slippage from a 'social situation of development' in
> which the child is an active participant to one which is simply given, and
> happens to the child from without?
>
> 2) (Questions raised by Pentti Hakarainnen)
> a) How does Vygotsky's view of development agree with and differ from
> that of Leontiev and Elkonin? In particular, is the ¡°neoformation¡± the
> same as the 'leading activity'? (Olga Vasquez)
> b) Is play a 'realistic' activity directed towards the imitation of
> adult activities (Leontiev) or is it chiefly sense-making?
> c) How do children progress from one period to another? If, as
> Leontiev says, the 'crisis' is unnecessary, don¡¯t we need some kind of
> ''transitional activity system' which takes its place?
>
> 3) (Questions raised by Yrjö Engeström)
> a) Is there a parallel between the phylogenetic development of
> societies and nations and the ontogenetic development of individuals or is
> it simply a stretched metaphor?
> b) How do we theorize the destructive element of crises and the
> collaborative component of crises without minimizing the damage they do or
> patronizing the participants?
> c) How does the zone of proximal development itself develop?
>
> Some answers suggested by our data (Yongho Kim, Hyosun Cho, Seonmi Song
> and Ji-eun Shin):
>
> 1) (to questions raised by Mike Cole)
>
> a) We think that the 'whole' Vygotsky refers to is the whole child, the
> historical child, the child across the lifespan. We present VERBAL data from
> different periods of the lifespan showing that it can be understood as the
> whole child being shaped by various changes in speech, and speech being
> shaped by various changes in the whole child.

> [...]

Sincerely yours Bella Kotik-Friedgut