RE: [xmca] Helena's view of Andy's paper

From: Andy Blunden <ablunden who-is-at mira.net>
Date: Mon Jan 07 2008 - 18:29:34 PST

Helena,
I just wanted to respond to your off-hand reference to the "good-enough
mother."

                 Does this mean I'm sloppy and content with any "good enough"
                 theory that will fry eggs for me? You know, like the concept
                 of a "good enough" mother?

Now, as a non-professional I am quite unaware of debate there may have been
about this term over the past 30 or 40 years, I only know what I read in
Donald Winnicott's "Playing and Reality" which I thought was the origin of
this phrase. I took his meaning quite differently. I took it that he meant
that if the child is to be weaned and become a person in their own right,
then the requirement on the mother is *not* to perfectly meet the infant's
needs, but on the contrary to be just "good enough" so that the frustration
which arises from the non-perfect meeting of her needs is the beginning of
a process in which the infant begins to work out the nature of objective
reality for itself. I really liked the idea. And surely it is very very
relevant to your work as well.

Just a note on ideographic and nomographic. I responded to Mike on this in
terms of how Hegel responded to Kant. And in those terms your problem with
the reclassified nurses is a classic case of the contradiction between
concept (definition of a nurse) and intuition (the immediate
self-perception of a nurse). That is the terms in which I took it. Do the
nurses need to change the law or should they get used to it?

Andy

  Andy Blunden : http://home.mira.net/~andy/ tel (H) +61 3 9380 9435,
mobile 0409 358 651