[xmca] Fwd: TCRecord This Week: The Social Construction of Knowledge in an Online Graduate Education Course

From: Mike Cole <lchcmike who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Thu Jan 03 2008 - 10:21:41 PST

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Teachers College Record <noreply@tcrecord.org>
Date: Jan 3, 2008 7:55 AM
Subject: TCRecord This Week: The Social Construction of Knowledge in an
Online Graduate Education Course
To: mcole@ucsd.edu

    [image: Title]
  [image: Subscribe Today] <http://www.tcrecord.org/Subscriptions.asp>
   [image: transparent 13]
    Freely-Available This Week
Articles
 The Potential of Jigsaw Role Playing to Promote the Social Construction of
Knowledge in an Online Graduate Education
Course<http://www.tcrecord.org/Content.asp?ContentID=12091>
by John Lebaron & Diane Miller
 In this paper, we describe the transition of a face-to-face jigsaw
role-play exercise to a primarily asynchronous graduate-level online course
in education. Beyond the community building aspects of the exercise, our
goals were to promote the application of course theory to real life
situations; promote the construction of knowledge through peer interaction;
address a general, common problem from diverse problem-solving perspectives;
and negotiate issues in consensual and confrontational modes. We conclude
with reflections, lessons learned, and future plans.

 Commentaries
 The Back-to-School Discount on Student
Safety<http://www.tcrecord.org/Content.asp?ContentID=14581>
by Billie Gastic
What does it mean to be safe at school? Not much under NCLB's Unsafe School
Choice Option (USCO). I argue that safety is complex and dynamic and
ill-suited to a dichotomizing system like USCO in which schools are deemed
either safe or not. I discuss how USCO's treatment of safety as static lends
credence to the misperception of school violence as a problem to which some
schools - the "safe" ones - are immune. I contend that revisions made to
USCO before NCLB's reauthorization later this year should require that all
schools demonstrate annual progress with respect to minimizing students'
risk of injury or harm and creating safe spaces for all students.

 Book Reviews
 Assessing Student Achievement in General
Education<http://www.tcrecord.org/Content.asp?ContentID=14857>
 by Trudy Banta (Ed.)
reviewed by Case Willoughby
------------------------------
 From Higher Aims to Hired Hands: The Social Transformation of American
Business Schools and the Unfulfilled Promise of Management as a
Profession<http://www.tcrecord.org/Content.asp?ContentID=14859>
 by Rakesh Khurana
reviewed by James O'Toole
------------------------------
 Privilege and Diversity in the
Academy<http://www.tcrecord.org/Content.asp?ContentID=14860>
 by Frances A. Maher and Mary Kay Thompson Tetreault
reviewed by Vielka V. Holness
 For Subscribers
 The Tacit Knowledge of Productive Scholars in
Education<http://www.tcrecord.org/Content.asp?ContentID=11581>
by Megan Tschannen-Moran & Nancy Nestor-Baker
 The tacit knowledge of prolific educational scholars was examined to make
these knowledge structures more explicit so that others might benefit from
the thinking behind these scholars' success and scholarship in the field
might be improved.

 Defining Reflection: Another Look at John Dewey and Reflective
Thinking<http://www.tcrecord.org/Content.asp?ContentID=10890>
by Carol Rodgers
 It is the purpose of this article to restore some clarity to the concept of
reflection and what it means to think, by going back to the roots of
reflection in the work of John Dewey. I look at four distinct criteria that
characterize Dewey's view and offer the criteria as a starting place for
talking about reflection, so that it might be taught, learned, assessed,
discussed, and researched, and thereby evolve in definition and practice,
rather than disappear.

 Defense <http://www.tcrecord.org/Content.asp?ContentID=12543>
by Brent Kilbourn
 I tell a personal story to publicly reflect on an aspect of academic life
that is a milestone for many of us and that is gossiped about in corridors
but seldom discussed in journals. I also tell the story to raise a question,
not spin a conclusion, about the functions of academic stories.