Re: [xmca] Subject: Verb, Object

From: Tony Whitson <twhitson who-is-at UDel.Edu>
Date: Tue Jan 01 2008 - 16:55:59 PST

I take it that Andy's asking why this would not be discussed within the
framework of Mike's book "Cultural Psychology," in which the meaning of
that terminology, within his framework, is elaborated.

On Tue, 1 Jan 2008, Paul Dillon wrote:

> great, but would someone please tell me exactly what "culture" means.
>
> Paul
>
> Andy Blunden <ablunden@mira.net> wrote:
> Sure.
> Andy
> At 10:43 PM 1/01/2008 +0000, you wrote:
>> Andy
>> ... why not "cultural psychology"?
>>
>> Luísa Aires
>>
>>> Good question Mike. I never thought about that, and it is certainly in
>>> ignorance of how these terms are used in academia generally.
>>>
>>> I suppose by 'social psychology' I mean a current of psychology which
>>> utilises a concept of 'extended mind' as its foundational principle. It is
>>> always the case that other currents contribute insights which are not so
>>> easily accessible from one's own (so to speak) - even if you don't accept
>>> the principles of Psychoanalysis, there are still things to learn from it;
>>> and the same goes for all currents and schools of psychology. But by
>>> 'social psychology' I mean a real psychology, that is practical and useful
>>> in dealing with psychological problems and copes with the reality of
>>> individual difference and so on. A 'social psychology' which sees
>>> individuals as purely and simply instances of their social position does
>>> not warrant the name in my opinion. And 'social psychology' in the sense
>>> that Max Horkheimer (I think) used it, which deal only with the phenomena
>>> of crowds and so on, is also 'not worthy' of the name.
>>>
>>> So I am looking for a tool which can give me a way of understanding how
>>> the
>>> Zeitgeist is formed, how it is changed, practically how to intervene in
>>> it.
>>> I do not expect a 'social psychology' to go further and provide me with a
>>> social or political theory as such, but it need to be able to bridge the
>>> gap, so to speak. Let's face it! If we can change the Zeitgeist which gets
>>> people like George W Bush and John Howard elected in democratic countries,
>>> into one in which genuinely good people get elected, then the rest will
>>> look after itself and I can enjoy my retirement.
>>>
>>> Why not a meta-psychology? Apart form my idiosyncratic dislike of "meta" I
>>> don't want a metapsychology, I want a psychology which has a
>>> metapsychology
>>> which is sound and able to cope with the sociality of consciousness.
>>>
>>> Why not a "science of human nature"? "Human nature" is such a problematic
>>> term, it carries such a lot of unwanted 19th century baggage. And I am
>>> interested in consciousness, not "nature" in general.
>>>
>>> Sure, social psychology is a sub-discipline within psychology. There are
>>> things which belong to psychology which are not centre-stage for me. Sure,
>>> brain injury or other defects are a serious topic, as is child
>>> development,
>>> etc., etc.. I guess I am talking about a psychology whose central thread

Tony Whitson
UD School of Education
NEWARK DE 19716

twhitson@udel.edu