Re: [xmca] Subject: Verb, Object

From: Andy Blunden <ablunden who-is-at mira.net>
Date: Thu Dec 27 2007 - 12:41:22 PST

Here is Anna's paper, but I don't seem to have a copy of
Relational Interdependence Between Social and Individual Agency in Work and
Working Life, Stephen Billett, MCA, v13 (1) pp. 53-69.

In discussion I held in relation to both papers that the authors made an
individual/society dichotomy which then presents us with an unbridgeable
gap. An amalgam between activity and culture is as I recall one of the
issues I took with Anna's paper, and in Steve's case, I pointed to a naive
concept of the individual as a free agent. But my paper currently under
discussion takes up the issues in depth.

All three papers address themselves to the problem: are individuals in any
sense "free agents" rather than creatures of their times and their social
position? If so, how can we theorise this as social psychologists?

I can't go past trying to find an answer to this question.

Andy

  Andy Blunden : http://home.mira.net/~andy/ tel (H) +61 3 9380 9435,
mobile 0409 358 651