RE: [xmca] E-Learning article from TC Record

From: Michael Glassman <MGlassman who-is-at ehe.osu.edu>
Date: Sun Dec 16 2007 - 16:56:38 PST

Jay,

This is a fascinating issue. I find two cultures developing with a deep divide between them. There is the culture that wants to educate using the internet and there is the culture that is already using the internet to educate. To be honest I found the recent article in TCR on the internet and education to be really frustrating, talking about metaphors like the Web and Delivery Truck and such. What is interesting is that I never read these terms from people who are actually engaging on and participating with the internet rather than talking about the internet and what we should be doing with the internet. Education on the internet from what I can tell has grown both exponentially, but also organically. I don't think anybody could have imagined the culture and the relationships surrounding blogs (not a metaphor but an actual description web logs, like the other terms that are generally used such as linkages, blogosphere, and net neutrality). The level of education that is occurring is amazing, right now surrounding primarily politics, but also including health, and food, and the arts - but it can't help but expand - and it has an extraordinary momentum. There are also the wiki platforms, most relevant wikipedia. Wikipedia is an example of how education on the internet grows organically. For those of you who don't know the history, wikipedia was originally meant to be an expert driven online encyclopedia. But while they were collecting experts they put together a wiki platform to discuss possible topics. There was such interest in the wiki version that the expert driven encyclopedia was jettisoned. Now google is attempting to develop gnoll, which is again an online, expert driven encyclopedia, but more advanced than what was originally proposed. Some think this will mean the end of wikipedia, but anybody who has really been paying attention knows that there is absolutely no way to know.

And yet when I talk to people within the university of this new world I become as frustrated as I did reading the TCR article. Not only does there seem to be a need to keep knowledge centralized (which works against the natural tendencies of communication on the internet - and physicists are actually doing research to examine this), but there is also a real fear of loss of information - that somehow people can't be trust with information that is not vetted by experts. The best blogs are written by an eclectic group of people, many brilliant but on the margins or outside of academia. Can we handle promoting an education model that we can't control?

Michael