Re: [xmca] Terms of Endearment

From: mktostes <mktostes who-is-at uol.com.br>
Date: Sun Dec 16 2007 - 05:22:19 PST

Very interesting thread indeed.
The 'rules', as we can observe are not easy. Just to complement about how
things go in Brazil. My daughter was just criticizing some Portuguese
courses for foreigners the other day, saying that people don't use 'Senhor'
(Mr.) and 'Senhora' (Mrs.) anymore. But it depends on who you are speaking
to, the age and power/social relations.

As for the president, the media keeps using LULA, so we would address him as
Lula. It would be strange to do otherwise. But I don't think people would
use 'você' when talking to him, but 'senhor', indicating respect.

The title here is used with the first name: Senhor (more often 'seu')
Antonio, for example and 'dona' Lucia. Sometimes people are known by their
last name, so you can hear "Seu Pereira". Or with a nickname or even the
shortened name "Seu Zé", for instance.

'Senhor' and 'Senhora' are normally used without the name, indicating
respect. So, one can say "O que o Senhor/Senhora deseja?" (What would you
like?); "Sim senhor/Sim senhora". Similarly to Spanish, as mentioned by
Paul. Older generations tend to use 'senhor/senhora' more often because
that's the way things used to be back then and that's how they were taught
to show respect.

And... we can never forget intonation. Depending on your intonation, using
'Senhor/Senhora' or 'Seu/Dona' means you are angry and not being polite.

As for students. My students normally call me 'professora' Karin or teacher.
They rarely address me by my first name alone and many of them use 'senhora'
when talking to me and not 'você', but I don't like being called 'senhora'
because it makes me feel old 0-0.

Karin