Re: [xmca] old posts

From: Geoff <geoffrey.binder who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Thu Dec 13 2007 - 12:21:11 PST

Thanks Bruce - bring back Norm! Yes, the Green bans were a remarkable
step forward (innovation?!) in working class struggle, no doubt driven
by militant unionists more concerned with showing leadership than
being members of the industrial relations club.

Cheers, Geoff

On 13/12/2007, Bruce Robinson <bruce@brucerob.eu> wrote:
> Hi Geoff,
> Your PhD sounds interesting. It may be very old news to you but I
> wondered if you were aware of the history of the New South Wales
> Building Labourers' Federation in the 70s when they used industrial
> action to enforce what they called 'green bans' - preventing commercial
> redevelopment of working class areas in Sydney and elsewhere. More
> detail (taken from a PhD) can be found at:
> http://archive.workersliberty.org/wlmags/wl64/greg.htm .
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Bruce Robinson
>

> Geoff wrote:
> > Hi Mike, thanks for the info.
> >
> > RMIT is the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology, where I'm doing a
> > PhD that, broadly speaking is looking at sustainable urban design, but
> > specifically is looking at how 'stakeholder' relationships effect
> > planning decisions. I can not remember exactly how I stumbled across
> > xmca, but is was via research that I've been doing into the problem of
> > structure and agency. I figured that if your going to engage with this
> > debate, then the agent is a good place to start, and no better person
> > that Vygotsky to do this. I've also been reading Wittgenstein and
> > Bourdieu and am thinking 'ecologically'.
> >
> > Cheers, Geoff
> >
> > On 13/12/2007, Mike Cole <lchcmike@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hello Geoff Binder-
> >>
> >> Two ways I can think of offhand.
> >> 1). If you go to lchc.ucsd.edu discussions xmca you will find discussions
> >> going back a decade or so.
> >>
> >> 2) If there is a particular topic you are interested in (for example,
> >> Wertsch) you can google the
> >> lchc site at the home page.
> >>
> >> And, since you are asking, what brought you here? And what is rmit?
> >> mike

Geoffrey Binder
BA (SS) La Trobe, BArch (Hons) RMIT
PhD Candidate
Global Studies, Social Sciences and Planning RMIT
Ph B. 9925 9951
M. 0422 968 567