Re: [xmca] Not to stray too far off any point, but....FYI

From: Bruce Robinson <bruce who-is-at brucerob.eu>
Date: Tue Dec 11 2007 - 15:39:15 PST

Flynn was on Andrew Marr's Start the week programme on BBC Radio 4 on
Monday. (still available at
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/factual/starttheweek.shtml).

The first person he mentioned as giving a possible explanation of his
findings was... Luria, quoting at length from the report of the Central
Asian expedition - the stuff about polar bears. I wasn't convinced
though by the claim that at the start of the 20th century abstract /
hypothetical thinking wasn't sufficiently widespread in the US to give
good scores in IQ tests - the example he quoted was idiotic.

Bruce Robinson