Re: [xmca] L. I. Bozhovich and perezhivanie

From: bella kotik <bella.kotik who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Sun Dec 02 2007 - 03:04:23 PST

Dear Dot and all!
To your excellent analysis of semantics of "perezhivanie" I want to add one
aspect which was not enough clear: it is really a unity of affect and
intellect, but it is not only negative affect (pain, traumatic events etc.)
we can use it also in a positive context. I remember hearing about a friend:
"She is going through (perezihivaet) a cats' period" which meant: she is
happy, crazy with in love.
We can speak about a profound joy of victory as perezivanie etc.
Bella Kotik-Friedgut

On 12/2/07, Dot Robbins <drobbins72000@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello Everyone, (a long note, so I apologize in advance)
> Thank you for such interesting discussions and papers over the last
> months.
> I feel extremely inadequate in saying much right now, and I really hope
> that more Russian colleagues will contribute to the discussion on
> perezhivanie, such as Anna S., Sasha S., Natalie G., E. Matusov, so many
> more, and friends like Peter Moxhay; and, I hope you will help all of us to
> better understand this term, as it is so important for us collectively.
>
> Okay, the history of my interest in Bozhovich came from trying to
> understand perezhivanie, when Akhutina,Glozmann, Moskovich and I were
> putting together a book: Festschrift Celebrating the Centennial of the Birth
> of Luria (2002). There were so many words that I could not really
> understand. At that time, I wrote to approx. ten people around the world
> asking for their definitions of perezhivanie. Unfortunately, I did not save
> all of that. But, it led me to Bozhovich, a most remarkable woman, and a
> person loyal to Vygotsky in very difficult times. In those early
> discussions, it was clear that perezhivanie is difficult to understand for
> us outside of Russia, because it really captures the "Russian soul" in so
> many ways. What I understood (and if I am wrong, please correct me), was
> that there is an "intensity, pain, sorrow [Russian]" involved in
> perezhivanie, and it is a type of "unity" of affect/cognition with so many
> other things, forming a "unit" ( of analysis) for Vygotsky
> (at one point in his life). Van der Veer (in Chaiklin, 2001, p. 103)
> states: "The concept of perezhivanie captures the ideas of analysis in units
> rather than elements....[It] also captures the idea of development by
> insisting on the ever-changing character of interpretations or emotional
> experiences (which are also dependent on changing word meaning, another of
> Vygotsky's units of analysis).
>
> Before telling you my thoughts, while working on the Bozhovich issue of
> the Journal of Russian and East Europan Psychology Vol. 42/4, T. Akhutina
> interviewed N. N. Tolstykh on Bozhovich, and I will send that DVD to Peter
> S. I also came into contact with Maria Neimark, who worked with Bozhovich. I
> could try and find out if she is still with us [alive], if anyone is
> interested. She sent me a book in English called Personality Orientation,
> which I will also send to Peter S. One other thing, Vladislav Lektorsky gave
> a great lecture at Rubtscov's university in 2003, where he speaks about
> perezhivania. Sasha was in charge of a wonderful series of lectures of
> well-known Russian psychologists, offered to the public in Moscow. I am sure
> Sasha has a much better video of that lecture than I do, and I feel sure
> that Dr. Lektorsky's words would be of great meaning to many in the Western
> world (it is always a question of obtaining funding for such translations. I
> have so many hours of
> [...]

Sincerely yours Bella Kotik-Friedgut