Re: [xmca] Vygotsky on Identity?

From: E. Knutsson <eikn6681 who-is-at student.su.se>
Date: Fri Nov 23 2007 - 06:39:17 PST

Thanks, Andy,

Although I guess I'm running a risk here (entering unknown/uncertain waters,
that is), I have the impression that the broader pre- and post-revolutionary
historical context in Russia – in which Vygotsky and his contemporaries made
rough drafts of a new homo sovieticus - deserves more attention.

A truly "culture-historical" approach should, in my view, have in sight far
broader horizons than those being offered by the traditional (and sometimes
narrow-minded) intellectual history.

Something tells me that 'identity', or at least the overwhelming focus on
identity, is a postmodern, predominantly Western phenomenon. On the other hand,
there was clearly a need for a construction of new identities in (post-)
revolutionary Russia.

The Reformation (as well as 19th-century and early 20th-century psychology)
probably reflects the general individualistic pattern in Western European
history. In Russian (and eastern European) history, the general pattern seems
to be radically different.

Erik.