Re: [xmca] mediational theories of mind: Suggestions requested

From: Mike Cole <lchcmike who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Thu Aug 30 2007 - 13:05:34 PDT

Interesting suggestions, Emily.
This course is a "second level theory course" in the communication
department
graduate program here at UCSD. Many of the students will have read
Domestication of the Savage Mind by Goody, some Vygotsky, Wertsch, ......
Some may wander in without this background.

In general this is NOT an education-oriented course. But both readings you
suggest could be appropriate for that part of the course where we are
thinking about the notion of literacy and is various extended uses (I was
thinking of using an essay I wrote some years back
with a colleague on the notion of literacy in film and print). But a whole
course could be
devoted to just THAT topic!! (emotional literacy, music literacy, video
literacy, computer literacy, etc.)
A real jumble/

Thanks for the suggestions!!
mike