Re: [xmca] Emotion at Work

From: Steve Gabosch <sgabosch who-is-at comcast.net>
Date: Wed Aug 15 2007 - 18:08:39 PDT

Michael, I appreciate you identifying Klaus Holzkamp and Jonathan H.
Turner as two core influences on your thinking about emotions and how
they relate to motives. I do not know either of these authors
enough to have a sense of how they would deal with the idea of
distinguishing objective and subjective motives. In fact, I am not
sure who makes this precise distinction and what they make of it (not
that many haven't). This question, among others, which comes out of
studying your stimulating article and participating in this
discussion, will be helpful for me in my continuing studies of CHAT,
emotions, subjectivity, work relationships, etc.

This distinction I am making between subjective and objective motives
seems essential to me. I would go so far as to suggest this
distinction can be viewed as paralleling Vygotsky's genetic law of
development: objective motives that are first met on the
interpsychological plane are then internalized and met by the
individual once again, in transformed states and therefore as new
kinds of entities, on the intrapsychological plane. What makes this
paradigm extremely rich for me is its potential to show, using a CHAT
framework, how contradictory social conditions (class antagonisms,
women's oppression, oppression of ethnic and/or language-based
groups, etc. etc.) create contradictory and conflicting objective
motives, which then become transformed into a rich inner world of
conflicting subjective motives in each individual, often in extremely
unique, creative, surprising, and not infrequently, unconscious ways.

My problem with the emotional payoff and valence concept is not that
it does not help shed light on essential dimensions of subjective
motivation, but that it easily becomes confused with and even
substituted for the analysis of objective conditions and motives,
which I consider, methodologically, a necessary prerequisite for
scientifically penetrating into the even more complex realm of
subjective experience and motive.

Following this reasoning, I find myself taking direct issue with the
idea that emotional payoffs drive motives in individuals. This idea
seems to reverse the overall cause and effect and underlying
emergence relationship between motive and emotion, between the
objective and subjective. There is no doubt that this popular idea,
that emotional payoffs generate individual motives, resonates rather
strongly and widely in mainstream psychology and social theory. But
I think CHAT theorists should be extremely careful to avoid losing
CHAT's foundations in classical Marxist ontology in regard to the
paradigm that social being determines social consciousness.

- Steve