Re: [xmca] Hiroshima Nagasaki

From: Paul Dillon <phd_crit_think who-is-at yahoo.com>
Date: Sat Aug 11 2007 - 10:13:43 PDT

Erik,

  I never meant to imply that there was a contradiction. "A time for every season under heaven". Almost everyone recognizes the right to self-defense when attacked. However, for me the question concerns the conditions under which one reverts to "war", and what kinds of war are justifiable.

  I don't believe the type of war waged at Hiroshima, Nagasaki, -- and before that Wounded Knee, Guernica, Dresden, fire-bombing Tokyo, etc. -- is ever justifiable in the name of self defense.

  Paul

Eirik Knutsson <eikn6681@student.su.se> wrote:

War and peace... Sun and rain... Is there necessarily a contradiction here?
Ares (Mars) was the god of war who presided over battlefields and armies.
Unlike his Roman counterpart, he was never very popular, and his worship was
not extensive in Greece. He was associated with Aphrodite from earliest times;
in fact, Aphrodite was known locally (e.g., at Sparta) as a war goddess,
apparently an early facet of her character… In Roman literature, Mars was the
protector of Rome, a nation proud in war. In Norse mythology, Frey was the
ruler of peace and fertility, rain, and sunshine. His sister and female
counterpart, Freya, was goddess of love, fertility, battle, and death...