Re: [xmca] Emotion at Work

From: Wolff-Michael Roth <mroth who-is-at uvic.ca>
Date: Fri Jul 27 2007 - 21:55:22 PDT

Hi Steve, irreducible means that any moment----which cannot be
elements because the activity system is the smallest analyzable
unit---is constituted by all other moments. So it cannot be the
cause, because there is a reflexive relationship. In such a
relationship you cannot claim one moment to be the cause of another,
because the same is true the other way around. So common causal
reasoning doesn't work. This is exactly where I see so many Anglo-
Saxon scholars wrestle with, or not even recognize the trouble they
are having....
Cheers,
Michael

PS: Sometimes I use the analogy to coupled differential equations
that cannot be separated into independent equation because they share
parameters, so that changes in one presuppose and entail changes in
another. (See also the dynamical hypotheses in cognitive science, van
Gelder and the likes)