Re: [xmca] Summer reading

From: Martin Packer <packer who-is-at duq.edu>
Date: Sun Jul 15 2007 - 11:25:34 PDT

Emily, your comments are very helpful. It actually hadn't occurred to me
that narrating could be healing, but you're absolutely right.

> not to mention reintegration of the
>> children, in terms of the internalization process that might be going on
>> within these 'cultural' activities.

Yes, I've been trying to think of sociocultural studies of this kind of
movement between two communities of practice. Anyone have any suggestions?

Martin

On 7/13/07 10:37 PM, "Emily Duvall" <duvalleg@comcast.net> wrote:

> [...]
> /and /read them. My husband is a Viet Nam vet - he was attached to the
> Marine Corp and did recon, basically hired kills in his case - and he
> has slowly been emerging from the horrors not only through
> psychotherapy, behavior management, and medication, but also through
> storytelling opportunities. Last year some students interviewed him for
> an undergrad film-making project (they were interviewing vets) and the
> video recordings were ultimately placed not only in the Penn State
> archives, but in a local war museum and has been placed in the federal
> archives for future researchers and interested members of the public. He
> was given a copy and it's fascinating to see him tell his stories, but
> also to listen to him reflect on the process of telling his story to
> these two young people.
> I guess it sounds a little too "oh the healing power of story", but I
> think there is something to the externalization end of the process, said
> the non-psychologist.
> Nonetheless, it would be interesting and potentially useful to consider
> guerrilla and paramilitary methods, not to mention reintegration of the
> children, in terms of the internalization process that might be going on
> within these 'cultural' activities.
> I hope you'll keep us posted. I think this could be valuable work in
> terms of the gang cultures as well.
> ~ Em
> P.S. Has there been any investigations of the Hitler youth or the
> children involved in the cultural revolution in China?
>
> Martin Packer wrote:
>> Last year I had the opportunity to talk with staff at the Colombian Ministry
>> of Education in Bogotá, and learned from them about the problems of the
>> Œreinserted¹ children - former child soldiers who were recruited or simply
>> kidnapped by guerilla or paramilitary groups there. As these children are
>> escaping, or as the groups are disbanding, they are becoming the
>> responsibility of the Ministry. We started to think about a possible
>> research project that might benefit all concerned. One possibility we
>> discussed was that we might learn a great deal from these children about the
>> rationality and motivation of the guerilla and paramilitary groups ­ that
>> interviews with them could throw light on the sources of conflict and
>> possible pathways to peace for these groups, and also on the best way to
>> facilitate the reintegration of the children into mainstream society.
>>
>> If anyone would be interested in collaborating on such a project, or has
>> suggestions on how best to carry it out, or improve it, please let me know.
>>
>> Martin
>>

>> On 7/13/07 8:09 PM, "Cunningham, Donald James" <cunningh@indiana.edu> wrote:
>>

>>> Em, I first heard of the book here:
>>>
>>> http://www.comedycentral.com/shows/the_daily_show/videos/celebrity_inter
>>> views/index.jhtml?playVideo=82274
>>>
>>> An odd source, I know, but Jon Stewart may be our most astute journalist

>>> 814-404-6175 (cell)