Re: [xmca] Summer reading

From: Emily Duvall <duvalleg who-is-at comcast.net>
Date: Sat Jul 14 2007 - 08:38:24 PDT

Thank you Peter - I went up to
http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/05252007/profile.html
and listened/watched the interview with my husband. He has some
interesting comments regarding the difference between writing for a
particular audience (he calls it the writing of one for one), the
importance of language/word (literally) versus the distancing effect of
other media. I have a feeling we will pursue this for him and search for
a storyteller to work with... :-)
I'm currently involved in a project that involved the writing of
'herstories' (Courageious Acts of Academe: Making public our private
herstories of literacy)**- women academics stories pertaining to
literacy in connection to our mothers. The group I am writing and
researching with have each written a short story - they are a mix of
autobiography and our own theoretical musings - and we will each be
approaching the narratives with our individual research agenda's. We'll
be presenting this work at the Curriculum & Pedagogy conference in the
fall. My focus will consider the why of narratives and also the
connections I can make to externalization for an particular audience and
the internalization process. Any suggestions for theory reading within
the broad blanket of the cultural-historical approach would be welcome.
~ Em