Re: [xmca] the problem with expert vs novice

From: Andy Jocuns <andyjocuns who-is-at yahoo.com>
Date: Mon Jul 02 2007 - 08:45:45 PDT

Not sure if this is completely relevant but it came up when I read Jay's response.

Something that has always struck me about this concept is how we tend forget that "novices" bring to their "experts" a wide array of knowledges & actions. The expert's role is to reframe, recontextualize, or even verify it. I have run into this issue when teaching some of my friends to brew beer. Some of them seem to know more about the process than I do, though they have never seen the actions that make it up; while others have never boiled water before.

andy