[xmca] Fwd: After-School research positions at Northwestern

From: Mike Cole <lchcmike who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Tue Apr 17 2007 - 10:44:51 PDT

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Bart Hirsch <bhirsch@northwestern.edu>
Date: Apr 17, 2007 10:42 AM
Subject: After-School research positions at Northwestern
To: Bart Hirsch <bhirsch@northwestern.edu>

Please circulate and let me know of anyone you'd
recommend.....thanx......Bart

-----------------

One or more full-time researchers are needed to join an evaluation research
team at Northwestern University led by Barton J. Hirsch and Larry Hedges.
The project involves an evaluation of After School Matters (ASM), one of the
country's largest providers of after-school programs for HS students. We
are conducting a randomized controlled trial of the effectiveness of ASM's
paid, apprenticeship-like programs for students in Chicago public high
schools. Outcomes include positive youth development, marketable job
skills, academic performance, and problem behavior. A brief description of
the research is attached below in pdf format.

One position involves primary staff responsibility for conducting the
QUANTITATIVE analyses. An excellent background in regression procedures is
needed. Much of the work will involve HLM; some background in that area is
desirable, though we will provide training as needed. The position also
involves participating in our qualitative, observational studies of
apprenticeship sites. In addition to methodological training, a background
in one or more of the substantive domains of the research is desirable. The
successful candidate will also possess the interpersonal presence and skills
to manage relationships with individuals from multiple organizations.

Another possible position would be for candidates with a strong background
in QUALITATIVE research with youth. This position requires a background in
teaching-learning processes and design of innovative educational programs,
preferably for HS youth. This person would be extensively involved in
fieldwork and would possess the interpersonal qualities specified above.

A recent doctorate is desirable, though we will consider master's level
applicants with suitable experiences. The initial term is for one year,
renewable for several years. Please send a statement of interest that
specifies the position you are applying for and how your experiences map
unto project needs, vita, publications/papers, and arrange for 3-5 letters
of reference to be sent directly to:

Patricia A. Ferguson
Northwestern University
Institute for Policy Research
2040 Sheridan Road
Evanston, IL 60208

Starting date is mid-late August. Northwestern is located in Evanston,
Illinois, an attractive lakefront community adjacent to Chicago.

Barton J. Hirsch
Professor of Human Development & Social Policy
Northwestern University
2120 Campus Drive
Evanston, IL 60208
email: bhirsch@northwestern.edu