[xmca] B.N. Belyayev?

From: David Kellogg <vaughndogblack who-is-at yahoo.com>
Date: Tue Apr 10 2007 - 17:03:08 PDT

Dear Carol:

  Sorry to yammer on about this, but I need all the help I can get. What was Lanham doing in the USSR in the early sixties? Was it before the banning of the ANC? Was he an SACP sympathizer/member?

  I thought that his relationship to "People's English" would be antagonistic simply because of his foreign language take on things. But I obviously know nothing about the politics behind it (for example, I didn't know that the Jehovah's Witnesses avoided taking a stand on apartheid, and I'm quite surprised to hear it, because they are generally quite principled about racial integration and they are certainly not afraid of prison here in South Korea!).

  What was your presentation based on? Did you just use Belyayev's book, or did Lanham bring back other stuff from the USSR?

  Thanks again (and again!)

  David Kellogg
  Seoul National University of Education