Re: [xmca] Concepts In Heads

From: Martin Packer (packer@duq.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 08 2007 - 17:35:59 PST

David,

Does Vygotsky describe concept development in terms of internalization? I
just skimmed quickly through chapter 5 of T&S without finding such a
description. Perhaps it's there somewhere.

Where he does use the term, I don't believe he's refering to a movement of
something from outside the mind to inside the mind, though I suppose that's
the general interpretation. I agree with you that he's using the term in a
nondualistic way.

Let me quote Bakhurst. "The subject must be seen as having an immediate or
direct access to reality itself. None of this is to say, of course, that we
have instant access to the truth. Our conception of the world can be, and
often is, riddled with error. But we are only able to be wrong about reality
because our minds are capable of reaching right out to it" (116)... This is
"a radical realism, on which the subject-object relation occurs not between
two worlds [mind and external reality], but within *one*: the single...
natural environment in which the subject is immersed" (208).

Martin