Re: [xmca] There is hope yet. Starbucks comes to Mecca.

From: deborah downing-wilson (ddowningw@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Mar 08 2007 - 16:16:10 PST

Utlimately the real enemy of
fundamentalisms (political, religious or otherwise) is consumerism.

Interesting!

The "powers that be" certainly must agree with you - the malls in Saudi
Arabia are heavily patrolled by the mutawah and seem far from secular. I
have trouble seeing beyond a captive population of wealthy fundamentalist
Muslims - where some of their own have brought in a highly selected sampling
from the world's market. I had never looked at the consumerism, in itself,
as undermining the fundamentalist message, but those products that increase
exposure to other worlds must have an impact - the most benign seeming
purchases can lead down dangerous paths.

Thanks for posting this link.

Deb