[xmca] Empirical Evidence for ZPD (was= Does Vygotsky Accept the "Assistance Assumption"?)

From: Paul Dillon (phd_crit_think@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Nov 28 2006 - 00:26:05 PST

Mike,

  Isnī't the idea of "empirical" evidence for the ZPD something of an oxymoron in itself? Didn{t Vygotsky develop his thinking within the framework of dialetical materialism, something that many north americans and others seem all too ready to forget? Isn't the concept of a ZPD a dialectical model in itself, which is to say, a model in which the subject object distinction is dissolved, a dissolution which defies the concept of empirical?

  Paul Dillon

I am not sure how to make collective headway from this starting point.
My own reading of the prior discussions on xmca is that there is no
concensus on the existence of any empirical evidence for
the existence of a zoped. The idea that learning depends upon assistance
from a more capable peer, as a general statement,
is absurd. And the insertion of "mysterious" into the third statement throws
gas on kerosene. There are some ways to think about
potential, but who introduced the mystery?
mike
(being kicked off line for world of warcraft)