Re: [xmca] New Valsiner SEmiots paper on MCA website at lchc

From: Lara Beaty (larabeaty@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Nov 21 2006 - 08:30:17 PST

If I may intrude on the issue of dualisms, I'm intrigued by Latour's
critique of the "modern constitution," which I read as saying that the
dualities have never existed (were never truly believed) but that they serve
an analytical purpose. I share others' uneasiness with Valsiner's emphases,
but as someone who is primarily a developmental psychologist, I'm not sure
there is a language that can focus on the important differences indicated by
inter/intra without sliding into a fictive duality. If it can get us
somewhere with our data, then can't we turn around and remember the fictions
we employed?

What do you think?

Lara