Re: [xmca] Clifford Geertz

From: Mike Cole (lchcmike@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Nov 19 2006 - 16:23:33 PST

I did not get all the way through, Ed. But I found it quite interesting as
far as I got, where the speaker is contrasting the metaphors of "humans
suspended in webs of meaning they have themselves helped to contruct
(paraphhrase) and of the life world (in this case, bureaucratically
organized life worlds, but the metaphor is fungible I believe) as an iron
cage both from Weber. Enablement and constraint, enabling who to do what,
constraining who from doing what? Classic example of where one needs to rise
to the concrete, but a very interesting
juxtaposition for me at the moment.
mike