Re: [xmca] Does Power Really Flow From the Mouth of a Teacher?

From: Barbara Crossouard (b.crossouard@sussex.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Oct 30 2006 - 08:06:17 PST

Dear David

Thanks for sharing the seminar experience with us, I remember reading
Candlin myself some time ago when I was involved in EFL work. I wasn't at
the seminar, so am not commenting on Candlin's take on this, but just to
say that in my reading of Foucault he conceptualises power not in binary
terms of either having power or not (where an aim of progressive pedagogy
might be to 'transcend' power), but rather sees power relations as
capillary and embodied, where he also emphasises the productive aspects of
power rather than viewing it as necessarily oppressive.

I think also at issue here over the way Candlin seems to understand
Foucault is that discourse in Foucault needs to be understood in terms of
Gee's discourse with a capital D, entailing much more than a linguistic
text, and rather a wider embodied concept involving collective ways of
being and doing, but where in particular social contexts some are
privileged over others. In terms of a Foucauldian reading of a classroom
pedagogic discourse, this could lead to an analysis of the sociocultural
construction of those privileged Discourses, the extent that its norms were
shared in an explicit way with learners, and the spaces that were available
for alternatives (or not). As Judith Butler (2005) points out (and thanks
to Mary Bryson for pointing me to her text in a posting last year), while
in his earlier work Foucault focused very much on how subjects were
constructed in discursive formations, in ways that seemed to deny any space
for agency, his later work slanted towards subjects' self-fashioning within
their particular socio-historical contexts, something that I find resonates
well with activity theory, where structure/agency are also intertwined.

In relation to the points you make in response to Candlin, I would agree
with you that the classroom does not have to be an inherently conservative
space, but needs detailed analysis to unpick ways that power relations
shape it and the subjectivities of those engaged in it, where the teacher's
power (like doctors/lawyers) does not reside in him/her, but is constructed
dialectically within wider societal frameworks, but can be used to close
down or open up spaces for student agency.

Barbara

Dr Barbara Crossouard
Research Fellow
Sussex School of Education