RE: [xmca] Unbelievable

From: Cunningham, Donald James (cunningh@indiana.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 18 2006 - 15:07:48 PDT

A friend shared this with me:

Regarding Oliver Curry's prediction about the emergence of a
dim-witted underclass, the great H. L. Mencken had the same prophetic
thought about 85 years ago. Consider the following written for the
July 26, 1920 edition of the Baltimore Sun:

"The larger the mob, the harder the test. In small areas, before
small electorates, a first-rate man occasionally fights his way
through, carrying even the mob with him by force of his personality.
But when the field is nationwide, and the fight must be waged chiefly
at second and third hand, and the force of personality cannot so
readily make itself felt, then all the odds are on the man who is,
intrinsically, the most devious and mediocre--the man who can most
easily disperse the notion that his mind is a virtual vacuum.

The Presidency tends, year by year, to go to such men. As democracy
is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner
soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and
glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's
desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright
moron."

Don Cunningham
Indiana University