Re: [xmca] Empirical Support for the ZPD?

From: Ana Marjanovic-Shane (ana@zmajcenter.org)
Date: Sun Oct 15 2006 - 20:57:01 PDT

David,
I am very interested in your article. Especially in your use of the
concepts of "short and fat" and "tall and thin" discourse.
I am also interested in what were the rule-based games and what the
role-based games.
I am also interested in other descriptions you use like: "frozen pairs"
and "melted pairs"; preferred and dispreferred responses and independent
and dependent initiates.
Did you look at the language children use during the play sequence or
also during the planning for play?

As you see, I have so many questions, that I'd like to read your your
whole article.

Ana

david kellogg wrote:
> I'm a little leary of applying the ZPD to university students. It seems to me that Vygotsky intended to describe something rather specific to child development--the ability of learning to completely restructure the way the child learns. Not sure that happens at university level; alas, I'm quite sure it doesn't happen in my classroom.
>
> I HAVE been having a very cognitively restructuring discussion with Mike about the cross-species ZPD, though. Since inter-species communication is probably a specialized interest, we took this off-list. However, empirical support for the existence of a ZPD is obviously not a specialized interest, so Mike suggested we take things back to you.
>
> Rather than recapitulate our discussion of whether monkeys and people play really play together, I'd like to tout a paper co-authored with one of my grad students (to be published in Applied Linguistics in either March or June of next year).
>
> (I'm a little unclear about the legality of distributing the article pre-publication, but if people want I'll send it off line or I can somehow figure out how to store it in the classroom Zopeds section if I can square the editors.)
>
> The argument is roughly as follows. Ontogenetically, children appear to develop from rote babbling, to role-based play (such as "House") to rule-governed games. Microgenetically, language appears to develop from complex discourse (such as the explanation of rules or the assignment of roles, both of which take many, usually short, turns) to complex grammar (e.g. "So the student who has the most cards will win the game.")
>
> If we take the SAME group of fifth graders, and we play rule-based games with them, we'll find a "tall and thin" type of dicourse, because the children are really on the leading edge of their zone of proximal development, and new language is being inter-mentally co-constructed. In contrast, when we set them to role-play, we'll find a "short and fat" type of grammar, because the kids are externalizing already grammaticized language.
>
> That's exactly what we DO find: the same children rely on more "frozen pairs" ("Hi!" "Hi!"), more "preferred responses" ("How are you?" "Fine.") and more independent initiates ("Why do you say that?") in role plays. But in rule-based play there are more "melted pairs" ("How are you?" "Terrible!"), more dispreferred responses ("You are bad!") and more dependent initiates ("Why?"). So, rule-based games create taller, thinner, more inter-mental, vertical constructions, and role-based play creates a shorter, fatter, more intra-mental externalization of long horizontal constructions.

> [...]

Ana Marjanovic'-Shane,Ph.D.

151 W. Tulpehocken St.

Philadelphia, PA 19144

Home office: (215) 843-2909