Re: [xmca] Billet's paper

From: bb (xmca-whoever@comcast.net)
Date: Fri Oct 13 2006 - 13:52:32 PDT

It would seem that Billet thinks there is no individual agency in activity theory? i.e.

"However, accounts such as situated cognition, distributed cognition, activity systems
(Engeström, 1993), and communities of practice (Lave & Wenger, 1991) run the risk of privileging
situational determinism, at a cost to considerations of individual agency and broader social
and cultural influences." (p61)

I don't see this at all in Engeström's writing. But then I find Billet's use of the term Activity to be rather sloppy, including a reference made to Newell and Simon. And I'm having more trouble with Billet's wording. I just cannot parse the following:

"So, rather than being reciprocal, these relations are relational." (p. 61) ????

It's almost like reading computer-generated text. Maybe it is? Anyway, I have to drop out of this discussion until next week. My processor will be offline so I won't be able to generate any markov chains. Hence, no sentences. Especially no complex clauses about reciprocal relations.

http://www.elsewhere.org/pomo

bb

From: ERIC.RAMBERG@spps.org