[xmca] Fwd: New book applying Bakhtin

From: Phil Chappell (philchappell@mac.com)
Date: Mon Oct 02 2006 - 16:41:56 PDT

From: Bakhtin Centre <Bakhtin.Centre@sheffield.ac.uk>
To: Multiple recipients of list BAKHTIN-NEWS <bakhtin-news@sheffield.ac.uk>
Date: Tue Oct 03, 2006 03:36:25 AM ICT
Subject: New book applying Bakhtin

Apologies for cross-posting; replies to Stevan M. Weine.

----- Forwarded message from "Stevan M. Weine" <smweine@uic.edu> -----
    Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 14:05:57 -0500
    From: "Stevan M. Weine" <smweine@uic.edu>
 Subject: new book

I would like to get the word out about a new book that applies Bakhtin
which has just been published by Northwestern University Press. The
title is Testimony after Catastrophe: Narrating the Traumas of Political
Violence.

         Testimony after Catastrophe is a deeply involving, compassionate,
and occasionally confrontational blend of dialogic theory and practical
experience emerging from the author’s decade-long work in Europe and
Chicago with survivors of the Balkan wars.
         Stevan Weine focuses on the hope survivors express again and again
that, no matter what horrors or humiliations they have endured, some good
might come of their stories. Weine examines testimonies from four
historical nightmares of the twentieth century and, applying the theory of
Mikhail Bakhtin, seeks to read them as the stories they are meant to be,
fully conveying their legitimacy, resourcefulness, power­and, finally, hope.
         Caryl Emerson author of The First Hundred Years of Mikhail Bakhtin
wrote: “Weine is a wonderfully graceful writer, and his subject matter is
central to our time”. Jerrold M. Post, author of Leaders and Their
Followers in a Dangerous World, wrote, “Transcending a clinical approach,
this path breaking book brings an interdisciplinary perspective to the
testimony.”

More information at
http://nupress.northwestern.edu/title.cfm?ISBN=0-8101-2301-0.

----- End forwarded message -----

Hello,
Thank you for your reply to my earlier message.

I would like to get the word out about a new book that applies Bakhtin
which has just been published by Northwestern University Press. The
title is Testimony after Catastrophe: Narrating the Traumas of Political
Violence.

I am interested in ways for me to get the word out on my book, including a
book review, or article in a newsletter, or presentation at meetings etc...

If you are aware of any of these possibilities, I'd greatly appreciate it
if you'd let me know.

A description of the book appears below and in the attachment.

Thanks
Steve Weine

         Dr. Stevan M. Weine is the author of Testimony after Catastrophe:
Narrating the Traumas of Political Violence published in 2006 by