[xmca] uncouth: Chavez, Krushev

From: Tony Whitson (twhitson@UDel.Edu)
Date: Sun Sep 24 2006 - 20:52:51 PDT

Maybe Chavez is no saint or hero; but whatever might be said about him, it
strikes me that there is some commonality between the incident of his
speech last week, and that of Krushev pounding his shoe on the table at a
UN GA meeting some 40+ years ago.

Much of the ridicule seems to have as much to do with social class as it
does with anything else. If you are suave and sophisticated and
"diplomatic," theres a lot more you can get away with.

Meanwhile, why couldn't Chavez have held up one of our books and told
everybody in the world to read it (Chomsky has skyrocketed to #1, in the
US and worldwide)?

What do you think?

Tony Whitson
UD School of Education