Re: [xmca] culture, history, remembrance

From: Mike Cole (lchcmike@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Sep 17 2006 - 16:41:28 PDT

Thanks bb for reminding us of our past.
I was doing something different on 9/11. It was my own personal magic time
of year. My wife and I returned to our special place
in the Eastern California Sierra Mountains. To get there we passed Manzinar,
the "re-location" camp to which 10,000 Japanese-Americans were sent in 1942
in the hysteria following Dec 7, 1942 (lif the reference is obscure to
anyone, look it up on google!).

This place has a special meaning for me because the first nesei americans
allowed to leave the camp because a bona fide American family, my family,
would take them, were a middle aged couple who I only remember as Setsu and
Sam. So, thanks to Sheila's insistence (i didn't want to look), we stopped.
An amazing place. Check it out on google even if you remember what 12/7/41
meant tot us, the US.

I wanted least of all of be confronted with the world on that day. But I was
very grateful that Sheila suggested/insisted that we stop.
It was a great national parks service facility. Great. I copied down only
two statements in the exhibity that seemed to me precient vis a vis 9/11.

Here they are. Our founding fathers understood what we as a nation have
forgotten:

Benjamin Franklin: They that can give up essential liberties to obtain a
little temporaray security deserve neither liberty nor safety"

Tom Paine: (one of my founding fathers, at least): He that would make his
own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he
violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.

Amen.