Re: [xmca] Signing babies

From: lpolin (lpolin@pepperdine.edu)
Date: Sun Jul 30 2006 - 22:21:19 PDT

Heck, my now 12-year-old daughter was taught to sign somewhere
around 6 months at the preschool/daycare center run by/with JPL/
NASA. It was very eerie to walk in on a group of 8 toddlers eating
lunch silently and signing like crazy: more, milk, down, cup

I agree it seemed to reduce the frustrated crying and ease
communication. We used it at home once the teachers taught us, and of
course, Sesame Street had a signing adult role model type and there
were plenty of Sesame Street books about sign language.

It may be a fad, but it's not a "new" fad.