Re: [xmca] a return to Kevin's paper

From: O'Connor, Kevin (kevin.oconnor@rochester.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 25 2006 - 08:43:46 PDT

Hi Mike,

You wrote:
> But if I understand you (and Ray) properly, we would still be dealing with the
> same SOCIO-CULTURAL processes that "make something" of variations that members
> observe, whatever the biological status of the individual involved. These
> processes would simply be working with different kinds of usable distinctions.
>
> Is that right?

This is what I meant, and in fact I drew very heavily on Ray's chapter in
developing my argument in the paper (of course I canıt say what Ray would
make of my use of his work!). Thanks for calling attention to this, and for
putting it more clearly than I have in this conversation thus far. One
thing I might add to how youıve formulated the issue (and I suspect this is
in line with what you wrote) pertains to ³the variations that members
observe² ­ Iıd emphasize that institutions have been organized so as to
prepare the way for these observations. Further down the same page, Ray
went on to say that "in allowing schools to become the site of sorting for
recruitment into the wider social structure ... we may have made it
necessary to invent occasions - millions of them - to make learning
disabilities institutionally and unnecessarily consequential" (272-273).
It's the organized consequentiality Ray talks about that I'm mostly
concerned about in my paper - both consequential success and consequential
failure are socioculturally produced, insofar as they require something to
be made of observable differences, whatever their constituents.

For me this evokes Latourıs point, possibly made in his mca review of
Hutchinsı book a few years ago, that landmarks (e.g.) donıt simply exist out
there in the world to be reconciled with maps ­ theyıve been put there
exactly because of the map. So the map and the observable world have
co-developed, in a kind of Bartlett-ian "gap closing" writ large. In fact,
it occurs to me as I write this that Latourıs version of symmetry would
likely be a better way to formulate the issue than the original social
constructivist versions, insofar as it allows a role for objects to ³speak
back,² as it were, possibly allowing the biological concerns that youıve
raised a clearer place.

Kevin